Author Topic: Availability?  (Read 28395 times)

tdiaz

Availability?
« on: 2008-10-04, 15:52:02 »
2008 - Q4 is underway now, it still says Q1 for a release date. ;-)

Seriously, FontLab has been trying to get the PhotoFont format launched with acceptance for several years now. the only tool that supports creating fonts is priced well out of most independent creators reaches. I've created 3 PhotoFonts and at least am able to use them with Photoshop, though the reason I did it was there appeared to be an upcoming way of using them within Dreamweaver and Quark.  Since them the Dreamweaver option has been yanked from site as of early Summer.

Alex Petrov (FontLab)

• Tech Support, Fontlab Ltd.
  • Global Moderator
    • FontLab
    • Email
Re: Availability?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-25, 06:47:57 »
Regards,
Alex Petrov
Fontlab Ltd.

Yuri Yarmola (FontLab)

• Vice-president, Fontlab Ltd.
  • Administrator
    • FontLab
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-06, 06:29:52 »
I've created 3 PhotoFonts and at least am able to use them with Photoshop, though the reason I did it was there appeared to be an upcoming way of using them within Dreamweaver and Quark.  Since them the Dreamweaver option has been yanked from site as of early Summer.

What is your Quark version? We are seriously looking for beta-testers to try our Photofont QX. It will come in 2 versions: for 7 and 8, for both platforms. Unfortunately it will not support earlier versions of XPress.

Adobe InDesign plugins (for CS2-CS4) will come soon, but later.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-13, 16:11:21 by Alex Petrov (FontLab) »
Regards,
Yuri Yarmola
Fontlab Ltd.

andy_ameed

« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-29, 03:09:21 »
Hi guys,

I dont know where to ask this, however, is there a way to build a font in "dhivehi" and let microsoft windows to recognise it like the Arial font.

Alex Petrov (FontLab)

• Global Moderator
    • FontLab
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-02, 06:15:46 »
Regards,
Alex Petrov
Fontlab Ltd.

xigmond

« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-01, 19:09:54 »
fontlab has done an exciting job but is there anybody using it?
I searched the web for almost 20 hours and I didn't find even 1, even 1, even .phf photofont that somebody created, not for download and not even for sale !!!
the only photofonts we have is the ones in photofonts.com
I wonder is it so new that doesn't seem to be used? or no one likes to say something about it?
all the links goes to fontlab.com or photophont.com and there isn't even one other website suplying these fonts.
if you like to find a place for this nice product I suggest you to create some more fonts as sample to motivate people to use it.

Regards

Alex Petrov (FontLab)

• Global Moderator
    • FontLab
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-02, 07:31:09 »
All this looks like nobody needs color fonts at all.  :(
Regards,
Alex Petrov
Fontlab Ltd.

tdiaz

« Reply #7 on: 2011-09-13, 11:40:54 »
No, the problem isn't that no one needs, or wants - it's two fold.

Time for some blunt remarks, but I say it like it is.

Your products are still priced like it's 1985 and Fonts are something special.

But more so, your timelines and reliability are just plain blown to hell.

PhotoFont QX, and originally the one for DreamWeaver were posted with availability forecasts of 2006. Some of the PhotoFont series have basically vanished, others still have not shipped.

Quote from: your own web site
Photofont QX is a plugin that allows users to install and use any photofont inside of QuarkXPress® 7 and 8 for Mac OS X or Windows.

To be released in 2009/2010.
It's going to be 2012 real soon. "2009-2010" is a huge timespan. Oh, I bet the excuse now is "Well, Quark released a new version"... and if you wait any longer, they're going to release another one.

There is no reason why Fontlab *studio* can't be the whole product line at a couple hundred less price point, and the individual products, such as ScanFont, and the PhotoFont packages can cost $39-$49 each, or a bundle of three for $119..

Lastly, with PhotoFont Web .. Flash is a pain in the rear end, a hindrance, and on it's way out. Flash is an inefficient resource and CPU hogging nightmare. In the end, where I could have enjoyed the flexibility of PhotoFonts, but because of the Wait Game you made us play, I've adapted to where I just use Illustrator and a set of tiles that I place in at the last minute, when sizing/proportion has been decided.

It's extra steps, but it doesn't cause me to get stuck in some very obviously un-supported nichy money trap, and I can use the output in any application without having to pay $79 here, then $79 there.

Why do I want to load up my web pages with Flash just to display typesets?

Oh, and @font-face being supported in CSS3 pretty much by every browser has all but eliminated the real need for PhotoFont Web, and @font-face is totally invisible, search engine friendly, etc.

tdiaz

« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-23, 12:01:28 »
So, what's happened with Photofont?

photofont.com still has 2008, 2009 dates on it, "the web store will be available by 2008.."

Is this whole thing dead?