Learn how to use the forum

Font Family Naming/Organizing

Discussion started on TransType

Hej Hej,

I bough TransType 4 for naming/organization for microsoft office 2011.
I tried a lot, but can not find out, how to do get the result, that 3 plain weights come together in one family.
The Styling Groups don't get a Regular, Medium and Bold weight together.
(See the attached screenshot, this is what I want)
I can only get two different styling groups, so that it won't display as one family in microsoft word.

how can I get it right?
#1 - 2015-04-27, 08:33
Attachments:

Office 2011 is a big mystery and very buggy. The way it handles different styles within one family is very inconsistent, and I don't think I can offer a reliable guide.
#2 - 2015-04-27, 09:34
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

@Adam — Ok, that is sad, I thought TransType 4 is made for this kind of problems ...
It works out with FontLab, after reading your very detailed post about it. Thanks for that by the way.
With Glyphs it works immediately without doing anything (but other bugs coming up)
#3 - 2015-04-27, 10:30

Interesting. Well, if TransType does worse than other tools then I'd love to compare the results. Could you by any chance put the sources and the outputs from different tools into a zip and send it to adam@fontlab.com? I'll keep the files to myself of course.

I tried to make the naming stuff in TransType as universally workable as possible. That includes not only the fact that you can select any style in Office 2011 (that's relatively easy) but also that if you create a Word document with all styles on the Mac, then install the same fonts on Windows and open the document in Word for Windows-- that all styles will be preserved. Can you verify that the fonts made in the other tools allow that?

Most users don't just expect that all styles of the family appear under one menu name in Word 2011 but also primarily thatwith the same fonts, documents are interchangable between Mac and Windows versions of Office, without losing formatting.

Trying to achieve both goals at the same time seemed impossible, so with TransType, we focused on the cross-platform compatibility.
#4 - 2015-04-27, 12:00
« Last Edit: 2015-04-27, 12:03 by Adam Twardoch (FontLab) »
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

thanks for your advices! That's of course a very good argument. I will compare this today!

Maybe I have to rethink the naming, probably you are right, and it is much easier for the user.

I tested from RoboFont, Glyphs, Fontlab and TransType. I can send you the files later!
#5 - 2015-04-28, 05:13

Also check how Word for Mac displays the font names in the WYSIWYG font dropdown lost and in the Format / Font dialog box. The latter always uses styling groups so if you use the typographic naming, the user will be confused. TransType 4 does what I described here: http://forum.fontlab.com/index.php?topic=313.0

And do some testing with Office 2016 Mac Preview: http://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview — and report your problems to Microsoft. Office 2016 for Mac looks much nicer than 2011 but there still seems to be a mess in font handling.
#6 - 2015-04-28, 06:08
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

Hello to all
I tried to create a single "family of fonts from various files, but I can not ...

TransType 4, not unable to put together more than 4" kinds "of fonts.

See images: the 1 is what I would like, the 2 is what I get.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Thanks for any suggestions
Work on Mac, OSx 10.7.5
#7 - 2016-03-07, 10:45
Attachments:
« Last Edit: 2016-03-07, 10:53 by clapat »

Font Explorer used to only show style-linked groups as if they were families, as if it were a Windows office app, even on the Mac. That is why I decided not to use the app.

In the latest versions, there is an optional “font family view” that actually works properly. Or so I am told.

Now, it is also possible that the fonts are not grouped properly. Do you see them as a single family in Adobe Creative Cloud apps?
#8 - 2016-03-25, 16:07

Members: