Learn how to use the forum

Kerning not working on some machines

Discussion started on TypeTool

Hi,

I recently created my own typeface based on the Freesans default. I've set up kerning pairs which now work on my mac, but when the font is tested on other machines the kerning is ignored. The font was created on a mac and the test machines have been windows based - could this make a difference?

I'm also having a problem getting the font to show up called anything other than Freesans in menus but have tried to set up naming as best I can...not sure what's going on there!

Any ideas?

Cheers all
#1 - 2014-08-20, 06:17

The platform shouldn't matter, for any cross-platform font format.

Between that and name changes not taking effect, I wonder if the problem might be related to font caching or the like?

Make sure you have de-installed all other versions of the font before installing a new one.

If that alone does not solve the problem, try clearing all relevant font caches (windows OS, and Adobe-specific if using Adobe apps). See http://www.extensis.com/support/knowledge-base/troubleshooting-font-problems-on-a-windows-pc/

If clearing font caches does not help, then it is definitely time to contact FontLab tech support, support at fontlab with the usual dot-com extension.
#2 - 2014-08-20, 14:27

Members: