Learn how to use the forum

How to move or set the side bar"W"glyph ruler for all monospace font. (solution)

Discussion started on TypeTool

All my font letters has the same space. Is a monospace font.
But now the width is to big and I wish not to correct my letters one by one in the glyph editor.
If it's possible, I wish to move the ruler "W" for all my fonts at the same time. ( the "W" right margin ruler )
I want to change my mono space character width from 650 to 512.
Place, How is possible to change something in all the letters of my font at the same time ?
And is it in the manual?
And if possible to move the Reference point or the guide lines in all fonts at the same time?

Thanks a lot for this nice product and the video tutorials!
I'm a new user, and this product is very good I just love it!
 Leo
#1 - 2014-08-05, 13:58
« Last Edit: 2014-08-29, 08:07 by Leo »

Yes, you can do this in TypeTool. There are two different options that spring to mind.

To just adjust the spacing and leave the glyphs alone.... In the font window, go to the menu:

Tools > Actions > Metrics > Set sidebearings.

Change the popdowns to make the Left SB "Decrease by" and the Right SB "Decrease by" and then set both to decrease by 69 units. Check the box that says "apply to entire font." That will reduce the total advance width by 138, or from 640 to 512.

However, then probably the spacing will seem much too tight. You could also do this by scaling the glyphs. The spacing will then be good, but the glyphs will be somewhat distorted. Your call. To scale the glyphs, you would want to scale them horizontally only by 512/640 or 80%.

In the font window, go to the menu:

Tools > Actions > Contour > Scale
Select Horizontal scale of 80 and leave vertical at 100. Check both "Scale hints" and "Scale metrics" and leave it centered on the Origin point. Check the box to "Apply to entire font" and away you go.
#2 - 2014-08-06, 15:09

Thanks Thomas for the perfect answer!

I have made my font using only fix numbers 512 256 128 64 32 etc
I made a new file and i started from zero;
and following your instructions work well.

I was inspired by Font in Elysium film so i made my private font just for learning.
Now i can look to my compact code in dark and looks much better.

Foto 1: Link

Foto 2: Link

#3 - 2014-08-29, 08:04
« Last Edit: 2014-08-29, 08:18 by Leo »

Members: