Learn how to use the forum

Trying to join my lowercase handwriting letters-- new to Type Tool 3

Discussion started on TypeTool

Working on putting my handwriting into a font. I am new to the program and have been slowly figuring things out. I am now officially stumped at how to join my lowercase letters in the program. Any tips or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
#1 - 2014-07-29, 07:27

Mostly, it is a matter of:

- deciding what height the connection is at
- allowing a little bit of overlap in the connection (say, 20 units past the sidebearing?)
- keeping a consistent stroke thickness for the join
- keeping a consistent angle at the point where the parts meet and overlap

Once you get that down, you can think about using OpenType contextual/connecting alternates to make better connections.
#2 - 2014-07-30, 12:31

Thank you for the advice!  I will try and see what comes of it. I think I may be a little over my head. The tutorials for this program have not been very helpful and I feel like I am pretty decent at computer design and figuring things out, but this particular program has been a challenge.  Ugh! 
#3 - 2014-08-10, 14:25

Sorry that it has been a tough road for you! If there are particular topics that could be better covered, we'd love to hear it. Or if you just need a general introduction?

Regarding the particular thing you are talking about, making a connected handwriting font, I just recruited a great type designer and teacher to do a webinar on exactly this topic. It may not be as soon as would be useful to you, but I hope it will help others later!
#4 - 2014-08-19, 16:02

That sounds great!  When you have that up can you let me know? I am interested and in no hurry. Thank you!
#5 - 2014-08-22, 11:22

I will remember to post it in this thread, although of course it will also be on our blog, etc.  :)
#6 - 2014-08-22, 14:05

Members: