Author Topic: Length of the curve or Vector is very small?  (Read 431 times)

cool_hand

• Email
Length of the curve or Vector is very small?
« on: 2014-05-03, 07:37:07 »
FontAudit flags any vector that is shorter than 4 UPM's. Is there any reason why I can't or should avoid having a vector length which is shorter than 4 UPM's; say 3 or 2 UPM's?

Thomas Phinney (FontLab)

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
Re: Length of the curve or Vector is very small?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-05, 12:48:30 »
Maybe I am missing something, but to the best of my knowledge....

In most fonts and cases, such a short vector would be accidental or an artifact of editing or overlap removal. It's not that there is any format requirement involved.

If it is an unnecessary segment, it's just extra data and makes it easier to make mistakes later on. Making your outlines as clean and concise as possible—without compromising the design—is a Good Thing, something I encourage for my students.

cool_hand

• Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-19, 05:52:27 »
Thanks for your reply Thomas.

I guess it's just a font audit flag and not something that will cause a problem if you decide you want a vector that is 2 or 3 UPMs.

I am actually making a Didot with very refined serifs, so a vector at less than 4 is desirable.

I guess the other approach would be to increase the fonts UPM size, say double it to 2000?

I usually use a UPM of 1000 - are there any issues with using higher UPM size? Say 2000?

Thomas Phinney (FontLab)

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-19, 18:07:39 »
I think I would just turn off that particular warning in your FontAudit prefs. I believe it is "object is too short" in the English UI.

You can use non-standard em square values, but there are occasional complications, so I recommend saving them for a time when there is a stronger reason. If you need the extra detail, then sure, go to 2000.