Author Topic: Welcome to the "Future FontLab" board  (Read 5089 times)

Ray Larabie

• Typodermic Fonts
    • Email
Re: Welcome to the "Future FontLab" board
« Reply #30 on: 2014-03-26, 03:02:01 »
Most of the time when I'm creating a new font, I keep an preview/metrics window open at the top of the screen. I have to turn off rulers and side-panel and try to scale the window to minimize the vertical space it uses up. When I start making a font, I haven't always considered vertical metrics. I tend to go a bit larger that what I think I'll need and finalize the metrics after I've figured out where the accents, descenders and lower accents are going to end up. That way I avoid having to scale the font twice. But if the vertical metrics aren't calculated, the current preview doesn't fit nicely. Sometimes there's a big gap on top which wastes vertical space. Here's what I'd like to see:

Along with metrics and kerning, I'd like to see a third mode: preview. This would be the same as the metrics mode except.

• Glyphs auto-scale to the height of the window
  • Toolbar goes away since none of the functions would be useful in a preview
  • The text input bar only appears when moused over.
  • Snap the window to the preview windows to the screen edge... it should just be a clean, white bar
  • Zoom button would go away. You can just drag the bottom of the preview window to chage the size - the glyphs will autoscale to the height of the window
Ray Larabie
Typodermic Fonts Inc.

hpapazian

• Email
« Reply #31 on: 2014-03-26, 22:01:07 »
Ray, I wonder if the "preview mode" you suggest can be a place where the black/white rendering I suggested could be implemented.

hhp

Adam Twardoch (FontLab)

• Product and marketing manager, Fontlab Ltd.
  • Administrator
  • FontLab Studio 5.1.2, Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • FontLab
« Reply #32 on: 2014-03-27, 00:05:15 »
Hrant,

can you do some illustrations or sketches visualizing this, and send them directly to adam at fontlab dot com? I'm not sure I really understand your suggestion from the purely verbal description.

[EDIT] Actually, I understand now. We have this slready implemented, in a pretty cool way.

Best,
Adam
« Last Edit: 2014-03-27, 00:10:54 by Adam Twardoch (FontLab) »
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

Adam Twardoch (FontLab)

• Administrator
    • FontLab
« Reply #33 on: 2014-03-27, 00:13:28 »
Ps. Overall, the development is going very well. :)
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

hpapazian

• Email
« Reply #34 on: 2014-03-27, 20:25:38 »
Just to make sure your good news is my good news :-) I've attached a simple illustration. The top circle is CCW ("positive") while the bottom one is CW ("negative"). As things stand their intersection is nicely white, but the non-intersecting part of the bottom circle is black. It would be very useful (for the type of work I've been doing recently) to –optionally– treat the bottom (CW) circle as a "subtractor": all white, and furthermore easily applied-then-dumped in a "remove overlap" sort of operation.

hhp

hpapazian

• Email
« Reply #35 on: 2014-03-28, 19:20:41 »
To express this via Boolean math:
Where c1 is one contour and c2 is another, what we have now is either "c1 OR c2" (for contours in the same direction) or "c1 XOR c2" (for contours in opposite directions). What I think would be most useful is replacing the latter with "c1 AND NOT(c2)".

hhp

Ray Larabie

• Typodermic Fonts
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2014-03-28, 22:05:56 »
"Ray, I wonder if the "preview mode" you suggest can be a place where the black/white rendering I suggested could be implemented."

I hope so; that would be quite useful.
Ray Larabie
Typodermic Fonts Inc.

letterform

• FontLab 5.2.1, Python 2.7.8 32, Windows Vista 64
    • Letterform Design
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-07, 19:07:22 »
  • I often use a block of real world text, as I'm sure many people do, to test metrics and kerning. It would be helpful if while working in the metrics window and using the automatic line feed option, the line break happened at the end of the nearest word instead of dividing the word that falls at the edge of the frame.
  • A button or keyboard command to toggle between Stylistic Alternates and their respective standard characters would facilitate double checking the metrics and kerning between such pairs. (I've seen this elsewhere on the forum.) http://forum.fontlab.com/index.php?topic=3630.msg10792#msg10792
  • I sure would like to be able to measure anywhere I please from the metrics window in kerning mode.
  • It would be useful to be able to identify the key glyph of a class from a drop down by right clicking any glyph in the class in the font window. (Similar to the Key Glyph option from the drop down when a Key Glyph is selected, but to identify the classes a particular glyph is in . . . as the classes button does from the Glyph properties panel.)
  • I'm with the others on a reset to (0,0) button for the reference point.

Thanks for all the excellent tools, keep up the great work!  Hope to see the new software soon.

David Parr
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07, 19:10:28 by letterform »

Thomas Phinney

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-08, 10:11:40 »
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding your #1 and #2, I can point out that most of the free FontLab Pad app is just the layout engine used for previewing text in our future projects. So... yes, duly noted.  :)

Regarding #4, I don't think we will even use the key glyph concept moving forward. It is an unnecessary complication. There will just be glyphs in the class, and class kerning or not. Much simpler!

Cheers,

T

Adam Twardoch (FontLab)

• Administrator
    • FontLab
« Reply #39 on: 2014-07-09, 01:45:26 »
I agree with Thomas:
1. As for linebreaking, the new text engine in our next-generation apps no longer breaks a word in the middle.
2. As for class kerning, we’ve moved to a UFO-compatible kerning model where a kerning pair is between glyphs or groups, not between glyphs and "key glyphs".
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

Dezcom

• Beta: FontLab Studio Mac
  • FLS 5.1.2 beta; Mac OSX 10.7.3
« Reply #40 on: 2014-07-10, 15:30:24 »
Good!  Glad you changed the model.  I hope you also dealt with the foot mark issue in class lists?
ChrisL

Thomas Phinney

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: 2014-07-11, 15:01:39 »
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "the foot mark issue in class lists," but as classes will no longer have a key member, there would be no need to mark it.  :)

Dezcom

• Beta: FontLab Studio Mac
  • FLS 5.1.2 beta; Mac OSX 10.7.3
« Reply #42 on: 2014-07-11, 20:51:51 »
 ;) Brilliant!
ChrisL