Learn how to use the forum

New Character Set

Discussion started on Other Topics

My font work is in support of the Nooalf Revolution. The main point is that it has a letter for every sound.

Another important thing is that it makes learning and using the system as easy as possible, so consequently, dispenses with the CAPS/lower case convention. Therefor there are actually less letters than the normal Latin alphabet.

Since there are actually 52 letters available on regular keyboards between CAPS and lc, the regular 34 letters of Nooalf leave room for additional letter/sounds. Theres a 35th sound for English ( au ) plus a few others in the fonts I'm making.

Another thing thats unique are fractions and exponents on some keys that aren't commonly used for regular writing.

So what I'm wondering is - can I possibly create a 'NQaLF' catagory in the Supported codepages and default character set in the font info? 
#1 - 2013-08-01, 22:11

Are you asking if you can make your own Character set for your own use? Sure, you can.
Or are you asking if there is some "official" recognition of it required?
#2 - 2013-08-02, 09:39
ChrisL

Official...whatever that means in this case.

There are a bunch of options in the list already, so I assume there must be some importance to picking the correct one.

I don't know how the whole shabang works, but I'm thinking that if I leave it as 1252 Latin 1 and I have the fraction 1/2 in the bracketleft position, maybe it could, for example, goof something up in some systems and print a % instead.
#3 - 2013-08-02, 10:12

The unicode values and names control which glyph is presented for which keyboard unit pressed.
#4 - 2013-08-02, 12:33
ChrisL

OK, thanks. I gess there wont be any problem.

One of the things that got me wondering about that is the mistakes I see on web pages and the news crawl at the bottom of the screen on CNN and other cable stations. Usually its a ? where a ' shoud be.
#5 - 2013-08-04, 14:06

My guess would be that the crawling machines do not properly support the character set.  Probably, curly quotes are not in their repertoire so a question mark replaces what should be a proper quote.
#6 - 2013-08-04, 15:15
ChrisL

Members: