Learn how to use the forum

Mac OS X bitmap fonts ?

Discussion started on BitFonter

It seems that sbit TTF is not compatible with OS X. They generate an error in Font Book and do not display correctly.

Which format could be used to generate bitmap fonts (containing no outline) for Mac OS X ?

If BitFonter cannot generate it correctly, any pointer to conversion is welcome.

TIA
#1 - 2013-07-11, 13:09
Michel Bujardet
Match Fonts

I am amazed at the blatant disregard of Fontlab for this part of the forum. None of the distinguished members of the FontLab staff has found the time to answer any of the posts since I posted my original question in 2011 about bitmap fonts for Mac OS X.

Because a product is not much in demand does not mean paying customers should be abandoned  :-\

Well, I will reply to my own post, then.

Apple bundles a bitmap color font with Mac OS X since Lion : Apple Color Emoji. See the review from Si Daniels at http://typographica.org/typeface-reviews/apple-color-emoji/

Unfortunately, since it seems Fontlab could not care less about BitFonter, there will probably not be any way to produce color fonts in that format  :(
#2 - 2014-09-12, 12:26
« Last Edit: 2014-09-12, 12:29 by Matchfonts »
Michel Bujardet
Match Fonts

Michel,

TransType 4 allows you to convert any .phf font (created in BitFonter) into the Apple/iOS-compatible -sbix.ttf format, and also into the Firefox-compatible -SVG.ttf format. Just open your .phf in TransType 4 and choose "OpenType TT(.ttf" as the output profile.

Our upcoming FontLab VI font editor will support the creation of traditional monochrome OpenType PS .otf and OpenType TT .ttf fonts as well as color fonts in all modern formats (Apple/iOS -sbix.ttf, Firefox -SVG.ttf, Android -CBDT.ttf and Microsoft -COLR.ttf).

Regards,
Adam Twardoch
#3 - 2015-06-25, 02:22
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

Members: