Learn how to use the forum

Purchasing Typetool download for windows but using CD for mac (??)

Discussion started on TypeTool

I would like to purchase typetool(actually the typetool/scanfont bundle), and be able to use it on both my mac and my PC...

If I download onto my PC and purchase the actual CD as well, can I use the CD to put on my mac? 
Or would it only be formatted for Windows???

To anyone who knows the answer to this question...thanks!!
#1 - 2014-08-16, 10:38

These apps are platform-specific. You can't just buy the Windows version and run it on your Mac, unless you are also running Windows on your Mac.

Currently, TransType is an exception insofar as the one license allows you to download either Windows or Mac versions of the app.
#2 - 2014-08-16, 11:33

Yeah for TransType! Multi-device capability is where the global market is moving product today. TransType is the only one I've bought, because it is Mac and Windows. I use it both systems and broadcast Fontlab everywhere that way, in twice as many places. For example, meeting clients in coffee shops. Everyone is interested, EVERYONE! TransType proves Fontlab can improve its popularity with affordable family typography software that is multi-device friendly TransType needs a companion Mac-Windwos editor. Like say, TypeTool!

Using TransType pricing, TypeTool moves from $47 to $94. $48 full academic. Looks and feels solid. Incrementally, let's do TransType TypeTool Beginner Kit for $142, or $48 upgrade for current TypeTool or TransType owners. Photo ops. Baby's first step!

Great idea, Thomas Phinney. 2015 now, a year later. When will you nudge those two downloads together, into the same download box for each purchase. Yes! :-*
#3 - 2015-11-11, 00:26

In a similar vein to TransType, FontLab VI will have a license based on users, not computers. That license will be cross-platform, with cross-platform SKUs and cross-platform serial numbers.

I imagine we will roll this same approach out with other future products as they come out.

I'm not prepared to increase the price of TypeTool right now. Actually, it used to cost $97 or something like that, and I halved it to make a truly inexpensive intro font editor. (That price reduction and creating the vfb2ufo tool were two of the first key proposals I made before I even started at FontLab.)

Although bundles like TypeTool + TransType seem like a nice idea, I have found over time that the opposite seems to be true. There are so many possible bundles that they mean we have a much longer list of items to sell (SKUs) in our store, overwhelming would-be customers with choices. The bundles make up half our SKUs, yet only a tiny percentage of our sales.They cause more grief when it comes time to change a price or put something on sale. So... I'm pretty resistant to making new bundles, more likely to retire ones we already have.
#4 - 2015-11-11, 10:10
« Last Edit: 2015-11-11, 10:11 by Thomas Phinney (FontLab) »

Members: