Author Topic: Merge command and Unicode issue  (Read 1362 times)

beachmat

Merge command and Unicode issue
« on: 2012-12-13, 07:13:43 »
I'm trying to replace some glyphs in a font with some from another font using the Merge Fonts command, but I'm having a problem, which is that it always replaces the Unicode values in the target font with the ones from the source font, even if the glyph in the source font has no Unicode value. Basically I'd like the outcome to be the same as if I manually pasted some glyphs from one font to the other in the font window (in that case the Unicode values in the target font are not overwritten). Is there a way round this? If not would it not be sensible to have an option in the merge dialog to control this?

beachmat

Re: Merge command and Unicode issue
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-14, 07:02:44 »
In case anyone is interested, I discovered a way to do what I want is to use Paste Special and select the option to ignore destination selection, map glyphs by name. This allows you to import a large number of glyphs from another font in non-matching order without overwriting Unicode values in the destination font.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-14, 10:15:42 by beachmat »

Sandy JMA

• Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-15, 06:38:00 »
If you right click and select "Append Glyphs" from the contextual menu, does that accomplish what you want as well?

______

Misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-15, 19:08:25 by Sandy JMA »

beachmat

« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-15, 07:57:03 »
No append doesn't as it just adds the copied glyphs to the font (and renames them if necessary) rather than replace existing glyphs with the same name.