Learn how to use the forum

Exporting from Illustrator to TypeTool

Discussion started on TypeTool

Our class is creating a font in TypeTool but preferred to design them in Illustrator. I have followed the manual on how to set up the Illustrator file so am confident that is done correctly. Where I am having problems is getting them to look correct when transporting to TT.

We tried to do a copy from Illustrator to paste in a glyph window. As an outline, it looks good. When filled there seems to be some strange light gray cracks or holes in the glyph—usually near one of the corners.

I then tried saving the Illustrator file as an eps and importing into TT. It comes in perfect when filled but has to be flipped horizontally.

I find this strange and would like to help the class find the best and easiest way to get their glyphs into TT. We are talking about glyphs which are 700 points tall.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
#1 - 2012-11-28, 08:33

Support+Docs, FontLab
Do you have a screen shot demonstrating those holes? Can you send me a sample ai file.
#2 - 2012-11-28, 08:52
Although we do try to track bug reports in the forums,
a much more reliable route is to use our bug report
form at <a href="https://support.fontlab.com">support.fontlab.com</a>

Thanks for your reply.

I've attached both a filled and non-filled version.

This example is fairly small. Some are larger and none seem to appear in the same location.
#3 - 2012-11-28, 09:06
Attachments:

Support+Docs, FontLab
This is not the hole but the arrow at the starting point showing the contour direction.  :) You can switch it off in the Preferences but better press and hold down the "~" key to see the real glyph preview.
#4 - 2012-11-28, 11:52
Although we do try to track bug reports in the forums,
a much more reliable route is to use our bug report
form at <a href="https://support.fontlab.com">support.fontlab.com</a>

Ah-ha! That solves the issue. Thanks again for your help.
#5 - 2012-11-28, 13:03

Members: