Author Topic: Set of ALTERNATIVE superscript and subscript glyphs  (Read 5020 times)

Rabbithead

Hi,

I have created an OpenType font in FontLab Studio 5 which has OpenType Features which include a full set of alternative uppercase glyphs, and a set of alternative numerals (ss1); I also set alternative numerals for fractions (frac)and - after a bit of testing and scratching my head and more testing - the OpenType frac code worked fine. 

However, when I tried to write the code for the alternative Superscript and Subscript characters (incl numerals 0-9) which I need, I realised that I didn't know how to write it or whether to put it in the superscript .sups and subscript .subs OpenType code or whether to put it in the ss1 code...  I'm not very good when it comes to writing code.

Does anyone know how I should write this code, and where to put it (ie in the sups/subs OpenType feature or in the ss1 alternative glyph set feature)?

Hope this makes sense and that someone can help me with this cos I am truly stumped.

Thanks.

Hairdocat

agisaak

• Beta: FontLab Studio Win
  • FontLab 5.1.1 Build 4353 - Mac OS 10.5.8
Re: Set of ALTERNATIVE superscript and subscript glyphs
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-14, 10:20:52 »
Which feature you'd put these glyphs in would depend on how your features are ordered. If your code for ss01 comes first, your sups and subs features would need to map your alternative glyphs to their superscript and subscript forms.

If your sups and subs features comes first, you'd need your ss01 feature to map your superscript and subscript glyphs to their alternate forms.

Since it sounds like your frac feature uses the same superscript/subscript forms as numerators and denominators, your code will probably be simplest if you adopt the latter approach, placing ss01 at the end.

André

Rabbithead

Set of ALTERNATIVE superscript and subscript glyphs
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-16, 12:25:32 »
Hi André,

Thank you SO MUCH for your help.  It worked!

I moved .ss1 so that it appears after .sups and .subs in the OpenType Features list... and it worked instantly in InDesign once I had re-exported the font!

Now I know why you appear as a 'Hero Member'... 

Thank you again...

Hairdocat