Author Topic: what is "overlap swash" & "stretched alternate" in Adobe InDesign?  (Read 4232 times)

bluesoosk

• Email
hi
one question:
what is "overlap swash" & "stretched alternate" in Adobe InDesign?
i search that everywhere and found nothing :( help me
I'm so Bluesoosk

Adam Twardoch (FontLab)

• Product and marketing manager, Fontlab Ltd.
  • Administrator
  • FontLab Studio 5.1.2, Mac OS X 10.6.8
    • FontLab
I've tested Adobe InDesign CS6 Middle East with a sample font that includes all registered OpenType Layout features, and both menu items you're referring to are in parentheses, i.e. they're not available in the font. This means that these menu items may refer to some undocumented/unregistered features or to some "special wizardry". I'll try to find out.
Regards,
Adam Twardoch
Fontlab Ltd.

bluesoosk

• Email
yes its in brackets because i have not a font with all features
which arabic fonts include all features?
and.. my first question?
thanks
I'm so Bluesoosk

tom2112

• Email
I got the anwser with  Margie Vogel from Adobe,
 with help from John Hudson and Ahmed Gaballah (Adobe).
Thank you very much all.

Here is the Mrs. Voguel anwser:

"These features were created by WinSoft with the intent of registering them with OpenType. However that never happened.

Fonts with these features -
DTPNaskhOT, Sakkal Maya, Sakal Seta

Documentation of features -
Tag: 'ovlp'
Friendly name: Overlapping swash
Registered by: Adobe
Function: Similar to 'swsh' feature except for positioning. The 'ovlp' usually has a shorter width, to allow the following text to overlap.
Example: A user inputs the 'seen' Arabic letter (U+0633) at the end of a word, followed by any other word in DTPNaskhOT font. The 'ovlp' form of final 'seen' is similar to the 'swsh' but allows the following word to overlap.
Recommended implementation: The 'ovlp' table maps GIDs for default forms to those for one corresponding swash form. These substitutions are one-to-one (GSUB lookup type 1).
Application interface: For GIDs found in the 'ovlp' coverage table, the application passes the GIDs to the 'ovlp' table and gets back one or more new GIDs. If more than one GID is returned, the application must provide a means for the user to select the one desired.
UI suggestion: This feature should be inactive by default.
Script/language sensitivity: Applies to Arabic and Syriac. May apply to some other scripts.
Feature interaction: This feature may be used in combination with other features.

Tag: 'strr'
Friendly name: Stretched Alternates (right side of the connection)
Function: 'strr' is only relevant when used with 'strl' feature. 'strr' elongates the right side of a connection in a cursive script/font.
NB: The right side of the connection is the left side of the character.
Example: A user inputs the Arabic letters (U+0646 U+062A U+0645), in DTPNaskhOT font. The 'strr' form of 'teh' is similar to the basic shape but longer.
Recommended implementation: The 'strr' table maps GIDs for default forms to those for one corresponding stretched form. These substitutions are one-to-one (GSUB lookup type 1).
Application interface: For GIDs found in the 'strr' coverage table, the application passes the GIDs to the 'strr' table and gets back one new GID.
UI suggestion: This feature should be inactive by default. It is closely related to a full justification for Arabic. In the 'Naskh' justification type, use of stretched alternates allows a more refined output.
Script/language sensitivity: Applies to Arabic and Syriac. May apply to some other scripts.
Feature interaction: This feature must always be used in combination with 'strl' feature. To get fully correct output, the stretched right alternate should match the corresponding stretched left alternate. This feature may be used in combination with other features.

Tag: 'strl'
Friendly name: Stretched Alternates (left side of the connection)
Function: 'strl' is only relevant when used with 'strr' feature. 'strl' elongates the left side of a connection in a cursive script/font.
NB : The left  side of the connection is the right side of the character.
Example: A user inputs the Arabic letters (U+0646 U+062A U+0645), in DTPNaskhOT font. The 'strl' form of 'meem' is similar to the basic shape but longer.
Recommended implementation: The 'strl' table maps GIDs for default forms to those for one corresponding stretched form. These substitutions are one-to-one (GSUB lookup type 1).
Application interface: For GIDs found in the 'strl' coverage table, the application passes the GIDs to the 'strl' table and gets back one new GID.
UI suggestion: This feature should be inactive by default. It is closely related to a full justification for Arabic. In the 'Naskh' justification type, use of stretched alternates allows a more refined output.
Feature interaction: This feature must always be used in combination with 'strr' feature. To get fully correct output, the stretched right alternate should match the corresponding stretched left alternate. This feature may be used in combination with other features."

Sami A. Mandelbaum

bluesoosk

• Email
thanx a lot tom. you rescue me really
I'm so Bluesoosk

moiz217

Hello,
There is a mention of "DTPNaskhOT font".

What is this font? How and where to get it?

Thanks.

tom2112

• Email
DTPNaskhOT is an arabic font from Indesign CS-ME package.
Sami