Author Topic: Hinting Question (newbie)  (Read 5857 times)

writlarge

• Email
Hinting Question (newbie)
« on: 2012-02-17, 14:30:32 »
I have been working on a "dot matrix" font with a glyph design that's composed of horizontal bands (sort of along the lines of the old IBM logo). The bands are not actually rectangular, but are ovaloid, and the vertical white space between the bands is small relative to the vertical dimension of the bands. Naturally, it looks horrible at low screen resolutions.

At very small sizes, the bands collapse entirely, which is fine. But as the pixel size gets larger, the bands appear irregularly. I don't mind the gaps between bands collapsing at small pixel sizes, but I'd like them to behave consistently. Either they should all collapse, or they should all be visible.

I'm new to hinting, so forgive me if these are stupid questions.

Would my first step be to create alignment zones for each band?

If the band positions and vertical dimensions are consistent, would I also define those as horizontal stems?

I appreciate any advice!

Thomas Phinney (FontLab)

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
Re: Hinting Question (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-22, 10:26:08 »
I know this is super late, but I thought it was an interesting question and I wanted to try answering it.

This is a good example of something that I suspect cannot be adequately handled by PostScript type hinting. You could start by trying TrueType hinting, and do not only links for the "black" parts but also between dot edges to control the white space. Export a TTF instead of an OTF (OpenType-CFF) font.

If that alone did not work, you might have to go to more advanced manual TrueType hinting, possibly including delta hints....