Author Topic: Using the WINE version of ScanFont?  (Read 5300 times)

jgowrie

Using the WINE version of ScanFont?
« on: 2012-01-21, 10:45:32 »
This is the last program that is not up to date and is really the only reason I am holding back on updating the LION  >:(

Has anyone tried the WINE version of the package and have any feedback?  If not, I am probably going to request the version and try it on 10.6.8 to see how it operates.  I'm not real familiar with WINE applications so I'm not sure the package will operate identically under 10.6.8 as it would under LION.

Thanks for any input!
John

rtranmer

Re: Using the WINE version of ScanFont?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-19, 16:29:05 »
I'm using ScanFont 5 with Snow Leopard successfully, but have not upgraded to lion because I value ScanFont more.  After upgrading to Snow Leopard, there are some issues with ScanFont (hence the fear of upgrading to lion).  They can be resolved or worked around with a little help.  You may have some icon problems, but who cares. Most notably, for me, you loose the ability to open files by dragging them onto the ScanFont icon (you have to use the "open" command in scanfont).  It's not a horrible glitch, just changed 1 step of my workflow.  Also, expect frequent crashes if your merging and deleting cells quickly.  Work slower, and you'll be fine.  Finally, unless you install/use "rosetta" (fontlab sent instructions about this prior to the SN release/upgrade) SF will be very crash-prone (exporting, selecting the 'scale tool', etc).

As mentioned, most of this is minor and after getting used to minor workflow changes I'm still using (and loving) SF just fine.  Wish I knew what would happen if I upgraded to Lion, but i'm not willing to take that risk until I know it can be done without major problems.

jgowrie

« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-03, 06:51:15 »
I have been using the WINE version of SF5 for a few months now.  It performs FASTER than the Mac native version of the app ever did... not sure why but I don't think I would go with the Mac version if they updated it, lol... and I'm using a Macbook Pro  ???

I haven't noticed any issues running SF5 ( WINE ).  The only thing I had to get used to was on export, you need to send the glyph out as a .vfb file and THEN import it into the font file you want it in.  The WINE version won't insert the glyph into a font file on it's own.  No big deal once I realized that ( after an email to customer service ).

Evertype

• Beta: Fontographer
    • Evertype
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-18, 11:53:50 »
I'm not able to import some bitmap fonts in the Wine version. Nothing I seem to do works. Under File > Import > Select Source nothing happens when I select Select Source.

Fontographer does a fairly lousy job at autotracing bitmaps but as I recall I used ScanFont to do so exactly following the jaggies of the original bitmap (which is what I wanted). Is there something wrong with the Wine version? I'm in Mountain Lion.
Michael Everson

Evertype

• Beta: Fontographer
    • Evertype
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-01, 16:52:40 »
bump
Michael Everson