Author Topic: How to use Class Kerning with OT Ligatures?  (Read 4412 times)

Mikedesignerd

• Email
How to use Class Kerning with OT Ligatures?
« on: 2011-07-15, 13:09:02 »
How/Can you use class kerning for custom ligatures?

Example: I have a custom "th" ligature, after creating the class I go to metrics window to make the adjustments.
Once in the metrics window I type "t" "h", and that's all I get "t" "h" separately not my "th" ligature. How do I get the "th" glyph to show up in the metrics palette so that I can kern it?

Thanks in advance.
A lot of valuable information so far.

Arno Enslin

Re: How to use Class Kerning with OT Ligatures?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-16, 19:03:09 »
Select the character "th" (better name it t_h) in the glyph window and then open the metrics window. Do you see the slash?

Dezcom

• Beta: FontLab Studio Mac
  • FLS 5.1.2 beta; Mac OSX 10.7.3
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-16, 23:11:43 »
Generally, just type a slash followed by the exact name of your glyph. An example would be /A.alt2.  The easy way is to select all the glyphs you have created as alternates and then select "copy"; past the results into a text editor.  From here you can search and replace the slash with "slash-testing neighbor glyph-slash" [sub /A.alt/B.alt, etc with sub /O/V/T/, etc.  You can build test strings quite quickly this way.  If you always use the same naming system, you can use the test strings, over, and over.
ChrisL

Mikedesignerd

• Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-18, 07:31:13 »
Thank you both for the insightful info. Both suggestions work well. Thanks again, I was having a really hard time with that one.

tripo

• circuit maroc
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-26, 13:22:52 »
that was a big help for me too
« Last Edit: 2013-04-26, 13:28:43 by tripo »