Author Topic: Devanagari Font OS/2 data for Fontographer 4.1  (Read 4644 times)

hpatel1223

• Email
Devanagari Font OS/2 data for Fontographer 4.1
« on: 2011-07-13, 18:55:03 »
I am developing a Devanagari font in Fontographer 4.1 on Windows XP but don't know what values to enter into the OS/2 table for Code Page, Char Range, and Unicode. Also I don't know if there are any other fields necessary to fill in to make this font work with both Windows 7 and Mac OSX. Also I am planning on creating Opentype Layout Tables for the font in Microsoft VOLT. I don't know if these tables work in Windows 7 and Mac OSX. Does anyone know anything about this matter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tiro_hudson

• Beta: FontLab Studio Win
    • Tiro Typeworks
    • Email
Re: Devanagari Font OS/2 data for Fontographer 4.1
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-25, 14:31:28 »
It is recommended to support one complete Windows 8-bit codepage in each font. Since Indic scripts do not have their own 8-bit codepage in Windows, but instead use only Unicode, the normal practice is to include support for the Latin-1 codepage 1252.

A font with appropriate Devanagari layout features built in VOLT will work fine in Windows 7. Note that you can use only the more recent <dev2> script tag and shaping model if you are targeting only Windows Vista and later; for backwards compatibility with older versions of Windows, you will need to also (or instead) implement the deprecated <deva> tag and shaping model. [http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx]See the Microsoft Devanagari spec[/http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx].

I am not sure about the support for Indic OT fonts in Mac OSX. If supported at all, it would only be in the most recent versions.

hpatel1223

• Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-28, 22:02:48 »
Thank-you for your help. I have successfully installed my Devanagari font on Windows 7 and Windows XP and all of the OpenType features defined in the tables are working correctly. I can install the font on Mac OSX 10.6.7 and use the Devanagari keyboard to type my glyphs however none of the OpenType features work. Does anyone know how to make the OpenType tables work on Mac OSX?

tiro_hudson

• Beta: FontLab Studio Win
    • Tiro Typeworks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-23, 20:54:13 »
There's currently no support for Indic script OT fonts on Mac OS X. Apple are gradually extending their support for OpenType Layout, but they've not implemented Indic scripts yet.

gasyoun

« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-11, 14:34:16 »
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/volt/devanagari.aspx did you do it this way? Was it a Hindi or Sanskrit font?

Thomas Phinney (FontLab)

• Administrator
  • VP, FontLab
    • Thomas’ blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-01, 17:57:22 »
Apple does now support OpenType implementation of at least some major Indic scripts.