Author Topic: making TTX 2.3 work on Windows  (Read 17728 times)

PaulTopping

• Email
making TTX 2.3 work on Windows
« on: 2011-01-24, 12:27:59 »
I recently wanted to upgrade my TTX installation to the latest version, 2.3. After a little searching, I found that no one is keeping the Windows installer up-to-date. I definitely agreed with the forum poster that said they would gladly pay $50 for a commercial version of TTX.

So, lacking a commercial version and not wanting to become a Python expert, I sought another solution. After I tried a few things that failed, such as following the build instructions that come with TTX, I hit on one that worked! At least as far as I can tell, it works.

I installed the Windows version of the Adobe Font Development Kit for OpenType (AFDKO): http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko.html which includes TTX. Unfortunately, this is also an older version of TTX. Knowing that TTX is a thin wrapper around the fonttools library, I replaced AFDKO's version of fonttools with the latest from TTX 2.3. The resulting TTX appears to have 2.3 functionality! I would be interested to hear from any TTX experts thoughts on what will not work with such a hack.

Since Adobe must make TTX work for both Windows and Mac as part of AFDKO, it would sure be nice if they would be willing to spend the little extra work I suspect is needed to keep it always updated to the latest TTX. Just a thought. Since they give us the AFDKO for free, I can hardly complain.

Paul

Arno Enslin

Re: making TTX 2.3 work on Windows
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-25, 05:46:43 »
@ Paul

Install Python 2.6 on local drive C
And command from the FontTools 2.3 directory: C:\Python26\python.exe setup.py install

You don’t have to be a Python expert.

I have donated 120 Dollars to FontTools a few months ago. But generally I think, that TTX should be for free because of all the people, that don’t make any money with fonts. In case of my donation it was just an unexpected payment for a job, that I had done for fun, which I had redirected to FontTools.