Learn how to use the forum

Bitmap font in Windows Console

Discussion started on BitFonter

Hello everybody,
I got .FON bitmap font file and need to enable it in Windows Console (CMD.EXE). I spent a week on the web googling but still didn't find a way how to add it there.  Does anyone have a solution pls?
#1 - 2009-12-08, 07:06

Support+Docs, FontLab
Although we do try to track bug reports in the forums,
a much more reliable route is to use our bug report
form at <a href="https://support.fontlab.com">support.fontlab.com</a>

Hello Alex,
thanks for your reply. You're right mentioned answers could be found in 10 secs but unfortunately these are not the right ones. I was not asking how to enable custom truetype fonts in windows console, but how to enable bitmap fonts in windows console. The registry for raster fonts is completely different :(
#3 - 2009-12-09, 00:03

Support+Docs, FontLab
The registry for raster fonts is completely different :(

Really? Then I have no ideas.  :(
#4 - 2009-12-09, 04:13
Although we do try to track bug reports in the forums,
a much more reliable route is to use our bug report
form at <a href="https://support.fontlab.com">support.fontlab.com</a>

Two ways to enable fonts for the MS-DOS terminal:

1. Open the font in BitFonter; click on the fontname (next to the Mac-style font folder icon), open the Font Info dialog; under Encoding and Unicode specify Encoding Mode: CodePage, and Use Table: OEM/DOS. In Additional date (under Encoding and Unicode, choose MS Charset: OEM/DOS. For each font in the family, choose Font Info, under Metrics and Dimensions, go to FON/FNT and remove the checkmark (if any) next to Variable Pitch. (The Font Family should be "Modern" or "Don't care", but I don't know if this is essential.) Save the font with the extension .FON in the Windows\Fonts folder. (If that doesn't work, open one of the existing .FON files from that folder - some are hidden files - and copy the details from the existing .FON file.)

2. To make your new set the default "Terminal" set, use Windows Notepad to edit C:\windows\system.ini. Under [386enh] change the line:

woafont=whatever.FON

to read

woafont=YOURNEW.FON

(Of course, replace these filenames with real ones.). Please post back to report if these procedures work or not.
#5 - 2010-01-04, 05:46

Members: