Author Topic: Pothana2000 Telugu Opentype Font  (Read 2092 times)

ArchivePoster

Pothana2000 Telugu Opentype Font
« on: 2001-03-07, 04:00:00 »
Posted by: Krishna Desikachary

Hello Everyone!

I am glad to report that I have just created my own web site wherefrom the Pothana2000 Opentype Telugu Font that I have designed can be downloaded. The url of this site is: http://members.nbci.com/kdesikachary/index.htm

In addition to the font, it contains a user manual, and a Telugu Keyboard locale defined using Taveltusoft Keyman utility. One feature of this locale is that it maps iso-sounding Telugu chars to the universally familiar QWERTY keyboard with a minimum number of exceptions. Also it avoids the explicit usage of matra markers in text input. The matra markers are available on the keyboard, but are relegated to hard to use RALT and SHIFT RALT key positions. Since these are never used by user, these are mapped only for completeness. My experience and that of many users who have used this layout has been this kind of mapping is very intutive, simple and user friendly  to use for those who already are exposed to QWERTY (who is not?), as opposed to INSCRIPT type of mapping which is just the opposite. Your comments on this design are quite welcome.
I am very grateful to Apurva and Andrei, who have answered many questions and helped me greatly during the VOLT-ing of this font.

Please do visit my site and pass on your comments/suggestions to me via email.
regards,
K.Desikachary

ArchivePoster

Re: Pothana2000 Telugu Opentype Font
« Reply #1 on: 2001-03-10, 21:13:00 »
Posted by: John Hudson

Congratulations on the release of your Telugu font. I'm concerned, however, that on your website you encourage people to join the VOLT community as a way of getting a version of Uniscribe that supports your font. The VOLT community is not intended to be a distribution method of Uniscribe, and the version of the dll that is made available to us with VOLT is only for testing purposes. This is a developer community, and it will cease to function effectively as such if it is overrun with users seeking a way to hack Windows to support their scripts.

I fully wish that the official distribution methods for Uniscribe could be changed to make updates more frequent, but I don't think taking advantage of the VOLT community is the way to do this.

John Hudson

ArchivePoster

« Reply #2 on: 2001-03-12, 16:31:00 »
Posted by: Si

I understand that the official update mechanism leaves some room for improvement, and asking users to wait for Office XP is a bit much.

However, as John suggests this isn't really a good idea. The VOLT download is 3MB and will only increase in size as we add more sample fonts (uncompressed the Arabic sample font is over 1MB). Also installing the new .dll isn't that straight forward. 

Cheers, Si

ArchivePoster

« Reply #3 on: 2001-03-23, 12:53:00 »

The point made by John Hudson is well taken, and it is with great reluctance that I have suggested that USP10.dll can be obtained by joining the VOLT user group, for I don't know of any  other way of getting it at present. If  there is a less harmful way of getting it please let me know, I will say so on my site. regards - K.Desikachary

ArchivePoster

« Reply #4 on: 2001-03-23, 12:10:00 »
Posted by: Antoine

Does the version that ships with IE5.5 (please note: not 5.0x) works with your font (perhaps with some flaws)?
If yes, then I believe you can direct the people to the downloading of IE5.5. I was understanding this is the way envisioned at MS to get updated version of USP10.DLL (as well as the method to have it integrated smoothly in the system )

As a summary, here are a compilation of some versions available "widely":
1.163.1890.1 : the CSSAMP example available at MS site (if it is still there); support of Indic is not very good, and depart quite a lot from the published specs
1.175.0.1 : IE5, Office 2000, also some beta (2nd?) of NT5; same as above for Indic
1.325.2180.1 : Windows 2000, IE5.5. The basic version for Indic languages (even if only Devanagari/Hindi and Tamil are said to be supported). SP1 of W2000 has 1.325.2195.1340, which I believe is more or less the same.
1.381.2296.1 : beta 1 of Windows Xp (“IE5.6”)
1.390.0.1 : release candidate for Volt 1.1
1.405.2416.1 alias lab06_010104-1344: beta 2 of Office Xp (and the shipping product, as said here), and Volt 1.1 (I believe this is the build of January 4th, 2001 )

I welcome any correction or improvements about the above informations, of course.

Antoine

ArchivePoster

« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-09, 16:50:00 »
Posted by: shrii

Interesting Info.

I did not realize there were that many versions of usp10.dll. I checked the one on my PC and found it to be 1.325.2180.1

I was able to see thedevanagari using mangal font on win98 with that. Since I have recently installed VOLT I wondered where the new version of the .dll was. Since I couldn't find it I renemed the old usp10.dll and reinstalled VOLT. That still did not install the new .dll.

However when I tried using aksharamala on IE it downloaded the new component version 1.400.2411.1.  But with this version Mangal font was not visible. So I decided to go back to the older version.

My suggestion:
If  1.325.2180.1 works with win98, please label it as such and make it available to developers - maybe under a diff name, if that makes sense. Otherwise if features get lost with newer versions of the usp10.dll then it will be hard for developers to keep up with the Indian script programs development.

Thanks,
Shree

श्री

ArchivePoster

« Reply #6 on: 2001-05-09, 17:46:00 »
Posted by: Andrei

Shree,

the versions of Uniscribe should be backward compatible. In fact, there was not much development in Devanagari and Tamil; once we've shipped these shaping engines in Windows 2000 we try not not change anything there so we don't break existing fonts. Most changes were for Indian scripts not yet officially shipped and new scripts (like Syriac, Thaana etc.). We try to deliver the updated shaping engines to font developers as soon as possible so new fonts can be developed and tested with them. If the proliferation of versions created confusion, it is regrettable. However I feel that timely availability of new scripts and bug fixes should have been helpful and had a greater positive impact that overweighs the confusion.

If you have a reproducible scenario where replacing one version of Uniscribe by a later version break an exisiting application or makes text in IE disappear, we certainly need to look into that. Please make sure it is due to the new version of Uniscribe and not some other change to your system. Then, if you can reproduce the bug and send us the detailed steps along with the specs of your computer, we'll really appreciate that (you can send it to Si at simonda@microsoft.com).

Thanks --  Andrei

ArchivePoster

« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-09, 19:04:00 »
Posted by: Si

Absolutely - if you have a repro case for a bug that shows up with your font when the updated versions of Uniscribe (the Office XP version comes with VOLT and the Windows XP beta 2 version was posted here a week or so ago) please forward them directly to me.  

Cheers, Si

As you know VOLT doesn't install Uniscribe. Uniscribe updates are included in the 'supplemental files' part of the download. Developers are warned to back up their installed version first. They also need to keep track of the version they have installed during testing and make sure they have the same version as their customers when repro-ing reported bugs. Oh and don't forget that Mangal doesn't work on Windows 9x because it doesn't support any Windows codepages - A Windows 9x bug that will probably never be fixed.

ArchivePoster

« Reply #8 on: 2001-05-09, 19:38:00 »
Posted by: Srinivas

Shree,

> However when I tried using aksharamala on IE it downloaded the new
> component version 1.400.2411.1.  But with this version Mangal font was
> not visible. So I decided to go back to the older version

Aksharamala does not install any version of usp10.dll. You probably got the new version by installing a newer version of IE or such.

[ Aksharamala is a product that allows you to enter Hindi text into Unicode enabled apps. Find more info here: http://www.aksharamala.com/. ]

ArchivePoster

« Reply #9 on: 2001-05-09, 21:55:00 »

andrei, si and srinivas,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I undertsna dnow that aksharamala and VOLT do not install usp10.dll. It was installed by IE after I reinstalled VOLT as well as the supplemantal files. I assumed that since IE usually downloads and installs components it needs when required, it might have prompted the download when I started aksharamala. But it might have been triggered by installing the supplemental files since I did that at the same time too.

I'll try to reproduce the problem and let you know if I can get it to happen consistently. I have not downloaded the .dll separately - it must be the one linked with the VOLT 1.1 supplemental file install.

One change that I am noticing now is that I am no longer able to get Mangal to display the web pages in IE 6 under win98 as I could do upto this morning. I'm attaching a display of a bhagvadgita shloka in devanagari - which was in mangal font earlier.

ArchivePoster

« Reply #10 on: 2001-05-09, 22:00:00 »

ArchivePoster

« Reply #11 on: 2001-05-10, 02:17:00 »
Posted by: Srinivas

That's look very much like Mangal to me!

ArchivePoster

« Reply #12 on: 2001-05-13, 10:40:00 »
Posted by: billrao

I am an IT novice and mainly interested in the Telugu software developed by Dr Desikachari. I have joined this community to know a bit more about  Uniscribe and how it can be used to make Dr Desikachari’s Telugu software function. But I got lost. Obviously, this group is for experts and developers.

Dr Desikachri made a very valuable contribution to the Telugu community (perhaps of about 70 millions) and he deserves the gratitude of all the Telugus.

It would be useful, if some of you the EXPERTS, (including Dr DesiKacahri), take a bit of time to explain how this software can be made functional by an average user with limited IT skills. Telugu script is a hard script to put on the computer and the net. Hence my plea.

ArchivePoster

« Reply #13 on: 2001-05-21, 14:26:00 »
Posted by: Paul

Uniscribe and Telugu OpenType fonts allows for any Windows Xp and Office Xp application to work with the Telugu language. If Dr Desikachari’s Telugu software is modified to use the Uniscribe API you will get Telugu support from Windows Xp. Windows Xp will ship one Telugu font.

You can find information on Uniscribe at: http:// msdn.microsoft.com / library / psdk / winbase / uniscrib_44f9.htm
Regards,

Paul Nelson

ArchivePoster

« Reply #14 on: 2001-05-26, 02:11:00 »

I am using USP10.dll that I got from Microsoft when I was testing my Pothana2000 font. It has a version no. of 1.366.2046.1. This works fine with Mangal, Pothana2000 and Latha fonts under Win2000, and documents created under Win2000 are readable under Win95 and 98 if the Font and USP10.dll are installed. As per the specific question regarding using my font, just download the Pothana2k.exe and doubleclick on it to install the keyboard locale I created. Also extract contents of Pothana2k.exe with winzip into a directory. One of  the extracted files will be the user manual, which tells you how to install the font and use it to create documents. Hope this helps - Desikachary