Learn how to use the forum

Greek font for Mellel

Discussion started on Archive: SBL Greek

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Donny790

Does anyone have any Greek font they would recommend for Mellel?  I liked the SPIonic for Word.  Would it also work in Mellel or is there another good Greek font you would recommend?  Thanks!

#1 - 2007-09-05, 02:48

ArchivePoster

Posted by: GfSomsel

Other than the SBL font?  Two fonts that I know to work for the MAC are Titus Cyberbit Basic and Cardo.  I personally like Arial Unicode MS, but I don't know as it's available for the MAC.  My condolences on your being stuck with a MAC.

After checking, apparently the Gentium font which many use is also usable on a MAC

george
gfsomsel

Therefore, O faithful Christian, search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
_________

----- Original Message ----
To: SBL Fonts
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:48:55 PM
Subject: Greek font for Mellel

New Message on SBL Fonts

Greek font for Mellel

Recommend Message 1 in Discussion

Does anyone have any Greek font they would recommend for Mellel? I liked the SPIonic for Word. Would it also work in Mellel or is there another good Greek font you would recommend? Thanks!

View other groups in this category.

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group's
 mailing list.
Remove my e-mail address from SBL Fonts.

#2 - 2007-09-05, 10:51

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Joel_Salomon

On 9/5/07, SBL Fonts wrote:
> Does anyone have any Greek font they would recommend for Mellel?  I liked the SPIonic for Word.  Would it also work in Mellel or is there another good Greek font you would recommend?  Thanks!

Any OpenType font with Greek support *should* work fine under Mellel.

I've grown font of Gentium, myself.

--Joel

#3 - 2007-09-04, 20:55

ArchivePoster

Posted by: EmpiricalHumanist

Since I use Gentium as my default fault for most documents, I use the
Greek found in that font.

I think we're all waiting for SBLGreek final to be released. :-)

Kirk

#4 - 2007-09-05, 11:30

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Joel_Salomon

On 9/5/07, EmpiricalHumanist wrote:
> I think we're all waiting for SBLGreek final to be released. :-)

Question for John:  Will SBL Greek offer features that Gentium does
not, or will it simply be another pretty and readable Greek font?

--Joel

#5 - 2007-09-05, 17:14

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Pim_12

The Greek Font Society http://greekfontsociety.org/pages/en_typefaces1.html publishes some very nice Greek (Unicode, OpenType) fonts, available under the Open Font License.

#6 - 2007-09-05, 18:58

ArchivePoster

Posted by: sdchar_077

George,

I have been trying to get hold of Arial Unicode MS without success. Can you please point me in the right direction? Its supposed to be part of XP Word but I cannot manage to extract it.

Scott

#7 - 2007-09-05, 19:28

ArchivePoster

It's not a part of MS Word.  It is a part of MS Publisher.  It's absolutely huge.  I sent it to a couple of acquaintances (perhaps incorrectly according to copyright law) and it was necessary to attach parts of it to about 5 e-mails.

george
gfsomsel

- Jan Hus
_________

Sent: Friday, September 7, 2007 1:03:07 PM
Subject: Re: Greek font for Mellel

New Message on SBL Fonts

Greek font for Mellel

Recommend Message 7 in Discussion

George,

I have been trying to get hold of Arial Unicode MS without success. Can you please point me in the right direction? Its supposed to be part of XP Word but I cannot manage to extract it.

Scott

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail Settings.

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted from this group's
 mailing list.

#8 - 2007-09-07, 03:31

ArchivePoster

I neglected to mention that it used to be posted on the Microsoft website for free download though that no longer is the case.

george
gfsomsel

- Jan Hus
_________

Sent: Friday, September 7, 2007 1:03:07 PM
Subject: Re: Greek font for Mellel

New Message on SBL Fonts

Greek font for Mellel

Recommend Message 7 in Discussion

George,

Scott

mailing list.

#9 - 2007-09-07, 16:46

ArchivePoster

Posted by: John Hudson

Joel: "Will SBL Greek offer features that Gentium does
not, or will it simply be another pretty and readable Greek font?"

As far as I know, Gentium does not support nomica sacra and non-standard accentuation (e.g. combinations of accentuation with metric marks). SBL Greek supports both these, using contextual overlining and dynamic mark positioning. Of course, Gentium is open source, so someone could add that functionality.

#10 - 2007-09-07, 10:07

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Hermes

I was just reading the posts in this thread and ran across the link to the Greek Font Society. Their domain has changed and the correct URL is : http://greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html

Also. Arial Unicode use to ship with Office, in addition to other Microsoft products. If you want to find out what it is included with, check the Microsoft typography site: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx

At this page, you can select a product and find out what fonts it includes, or you can select the font name and it will show you the products it is included with.

I'm not sure if the list is totally up to date though. It only seems to include Office 2000, and I'm pretty sure Office 2003 and 2007 installed the font on my system.

Hope this info helps.
H

#11 - 2007-09-07, 17:19

ArchivePoster

Posted by: Yannis

You can find a fairly exhaustive list of Unicode Greek fonts on http://www.polytoniko.gr/fonts.php?newlang=en

#12 - 2007-09-07, 10:07

Members: