Learn how to use the forum

One solution to holem problem, etc.

Discussion started on Archive: SBL Hebrew

ArchivePoster

Posted by: ggoering

I was having the holem problem that Matthew described some months ago, and I found a fix for my situation.  In the process I learned a bit more about how the SBL Hebrew font/keyboard interacts with my setup (windows XP sp2, ms word 2003 sp2, and most version 1.5 of the font/keyboard).  I used TNR as my default font, and when I switch to my Hebrew keyboard via the hotkey, Word kept my font as TNR.  So, even though I thought I was using the SBL Hebrew font, I was actually using the Hebrew font in TNR.  This was the source of my holem spacing problem. 

In order to have the SBL font come up automatically whenever I hot switch, I changed my default font settings in Word.  Under the Format menu I clicked Font... I kept my Latin text font as TNR, but I changed my Complex scripts font to SBL Hebrew.  When I first tried to change my complex script font, SBL Hebrew did not appear in the list.  So I changed my Latin text font to SBL Hebrew, clicked the default button on the bottom left.  This made SBL Hebrew show up in the Complex script fonts, which I selected and again hit default.  Then I could change my Latin text font back to TNR, hit default again, and everything stayed the way I wanted.

I don't know how this will work with other complex fonts.  Right now I'm mostly using English and Hebrew.  If there is a better way to do this, I would appreciate knowing.  But this solution allows me to switch between Hebrew and English and back again with a single hotkey, without also having to select the SBL font in a separate action.

#1 - 2007-09-09, 19:39

ArchivePoster

Posted by: twuandy

Yeh, GG.  But I find that Word defaults back to TNR.  I think when I paste
Hebrew text from BibleWorks, its programmed to slide back into that awful
font.  I tried deleting TNR from my fonts, but now all that was in TNR is in
TNR Italic.
ALF

#2 - 2007-09-11, 20:55

ArchivePoster

Posted by: John Hudson

Times New Roman in a Windows system and MS Office core font, so even if you were to delete all members of the TNR family (regular, italic, bold, bold italic) you will probably find that Windows mysteriously re-installs them.

#3 - 2007-09-13, 16:54

ArchivePoster

It's amazing, John.  I go to TOOLS-FONTS, specifiy Gentium for Latin, Narkisim for Complex; specify it as default for this and all documents; and I still find that nasty Times-Roman sneaking into the document.  If the system crashes or updates for some reason, usually TNR reappears as the default in what I just changed.
Andrew Fincke

#4 - 2007-10-15, 09:01

ArchivePoster

Oddest thing is when I'm entering Unicode Greek in Gentium with the Tavultesoft Classical Greek keyboard (the keying is closer to what I'm used to - SPIonic - than John's), every so often I look at the prosuxt and notice it's a little skewed.  I put the mouse over the flawed text, and bingo!  You guessed it - TNR, even when I've got Genitium as the default Latin script for this and all the Word documents and Narkisim default for the Complex. How's that for your benign, do-it-all font, Judy?  Do-it-all HA.  Better: screw-it-all-up.
ALFincke

#5 - 2007-10-23, 00:17

Members: